We can all stand to take more breaks. Studies say you should take a 17 minute break after every 52 minutes, although a 15 minute break every hour should suffice. Taking breaks can actually increase your productivity because it will leave you more focused on the task at hand. Not to mention, we need breaks to decompress from our worries and to shift our attention to something more light-hearted. For many of us, our standard ways of taking a break include browsing through our social media apps and answering our texts. Instead, let’s try to put our phones away and find new ways to destress and to take a break. Below our 20 ways to take a break whether you’re at work or at home, but I challenge you to discover even more.
- Meditate – Spend 10-15 minutes meditating next time you take a break. It’ll leave you feeling a whole lot more positive.
- Take a nap – 10-20 minute naps have proven to be best, as longer naps can cause grogginess. Don’t feel ashamed to take a power nap during your next break, just keep it short!
- Paint your nails – Shift your focus from your work onto painting your nails a pretty color. Red is my go-to shade in the winter!
- Eat a snack – Whip up something yummy to eat! I love eating a bowl of fresh fruit as a rejuvenating snack. If you’re especially hungry, add some granola, honey, and maybe even some yogurt.
- Play with your pet – A break is the perfect time to show some love to your pet. Plus, studies show you can pet your stress away.
- Watch a YouTube video – YouTube videos are great because they’re typically short and sweet, and fit perfectly into break time. Pull up your favorite video and watch a quick video during your next break.
- Stretch – If you spend a lot of time sitting down, it’s important to get some movement in. Stand up, take a nice good morning stretch, and maybe do a quick yoga flow. Your mind and body will thank you!
- Sit outside – Sadly, many of us spend our days inside, often staring at a computer. Take every chance you can to go outside that’s given to you. Soak up the sun while there’s still daylight.
- Listen to a song – Sing along if you can. Maybe play 2 or 3 if you have the time. Get caught up in the lyrics.
Write in a journal – Use your break to write down 10 things you’re grateful for, or maybe write down 10 things you love about yourself today. Write down something positive.
- Call a friend – Don’t text them, but actually give them a call. See if you can catch up this weekend over coffee. Get excited.
- Drink a glass of water – A small, but important break for us to take is to drink water. Odds are we aren’t drinking enough. If you’re feeling stressed out and need a second to breathe, get yourself a glass of water.
- Put on a face mask – Enjoy a little pampering when you need a break. Your skin will appreciate it.
- Take a bath – Throw in your favorite bath bomb or maybe add some bubbles. Nourish your body. Give yourself a little extra love.
- Color in a coloring book – Decompress from all that’s going in your head by coloring in a coloring book. Take your time. It’s therapeutic.
- Light some candles – Bask in the scents and enjoy the peace and quiet.
- Watch the clouds – Spend time outdoors. Lay down a towel or blanket and watch the clouds go by. Make shapes of the clouds, just like you did as a kid.
- Go for a walk – Get your blood pumping. Acknowledge how beautiful the trees are around you. The world is pretty amazing, isn’t it?
- Drink some tea – Add some honey if you’d like. Spend some time enjoying your tea. Everything else can wait.
- Jump in a pool – If it’s a hot, sunny day, and you have access to a pool, have a little fun and go for a dip! You’ll feel much more alert afterwards.
Go ahead and take a break. You deserve it.