Each year we grow older, we grow wiser as well. There is so much to learn about ourselves and the world. Every day of life we learn more and more. Over time, we learn valuable life lessons that better who we are. Over my 21 years of life I have learned many valuable lessons. Here are 21 lessons I’ve learned in 21 years.
1. Take more pictures. The quality doesn’t have to be perfect, you’ll still enjoy looking back on the memories.
2. Don’t let anyone tell you how to feel. Your feelings aren’t something you can control and you have every right to feel the way you do.
3. Don’t waste time on someone who doesn’t value your feelings. Instead, find people who care about you and who are genuinely interested in your company.
4. You don’t need to have it all figured out. Life is a journey and you will figure things out along the way.
5. You will change, and you will grow. Don’t fight it. It’s for the best.
6. You can’t depend on others. People will let you down. The only person you can depend on is yourself.
7. Be yourself whether others like you or not. Those opinions of others really don’t matter as much as you might think they do.
8. Everyone has a bad day, but that doesn’t make it a bad life.
9. If you truly want something, you have to work for it. Not everything comes easy in life. Putting effort into something you want will lead to reward.
10. There are tons of mistakes to be made, and even more lessons to learn. Don’t dwell on mistakes or things you could have done better. Just know for next time.
11. Nobody knows anyone completely. Even if you think you know someone inside and out, you don’t. You have no idea what this person has happening in their head and all the backstory of this person’s life.
12. Always be honest. If something is bothering you, don’t deny it. Speak up. People fear the truth far too much. Honesty is an admirable quality.
13. Expecting others to make you happy will more often than not lead to disappointment. Happiness is a choice only you can make.
14. Figure yourself out before you try to figure out others. Growing up teaches us a lot about ourselves. Learn about who you are and what you are interested before you try to learn everything about someone else.
15. Surrounding yourself with good people will make yourself a better person. It’s important to have friends that give off positive vibes. Make friends who aren’t afraid to be themselves and are free of judgement. Don’t make friends who care too much about what others think and who make you feel bad about yourself.
16. Take care of your body. Eat healthy foods and go for a run. You will feel healthier and happier.
17. If he doesn’t like you for who you are, he doesn’t deserve you.
18. Odds are, whatever is bothering you now won’t be important in a week, so let it go.
19. Even at the lowest of times, just know everything will work out. Somehow, life just has a way of working itself out.
20. Spend time doing what you want to do. Even if it’s an hour of everyday. Life consists of a lot of stress and hard work, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have a right to enjoy ourselves.
21. Stay true to yourself. Don’t let others dictate your life. Be yourself and honor your values.
Each year brings new and exciting adventures that teach us a lot about ourselves. Over my 21 years of life, I’ve learned so much from my experiences. Still, there is so much in this world I haven’t yet seen and that I can’t wait to learn.