Unfortunately, not every day consists of cute puppies and fun adventures. The bad days are a part of life, and sadly are unavoidable. Sometimes when we are in a funk, we worry that we’ll feel this way forever, and that things will never get better. The good news is it will, even if you don’t believe so. Nothing lasts forever. As the bad days pass, know the good days are on its way. You can help the good days come even sooner by changing your attitude. Think more positively and engage in actions that will make you feel better. While these activities can’t fix all of your problems, I have created a list of 18 ways to instantly feel a bit happier. Just a little bit of positive energy can have a marvelous impact on your mood and your day.
1. Get a quick workout in. Getting your blood flowing will instantly relieve a little bit of stress, and keep you distracted from your troubles! You can engage in any form of physical activity that you please. Go for a run if you’re feeling angry, or do some yoga if you want to reduce anxiety. The possibilities are endless.
2. Take a warm shower/bath. Relax during a soothing, warm shower or bat that’ll help loosen your muscles and relieve tightness. Give yourself a mini massage while you cleanse to ease any tension you are feeling.
3. Listen to your favorite song. Try to pick a song that is more upbeat or that conveys a positive message. Regardless, choose a song you love and sing it out loud. Write out the lyrics in your favorite notebook, and blast the music through your headphones.
4. Spend time outdoors. Appreciate how beautiful nature is. Lay in the grass and make shapes of the clouds, or watch the stars at night. Walk across the beach and sink your toes in the sand. Go for a hike. Stop and smell the flowers. Nature is so incredible and beautiful. Take a moment to be grateful for your surroundings.
5. Watch a funny video/movie. Distract yourself by making yourself laugh! Whether you want to watch your favorite comedy or binge-watch Shane Dawson videos, take some time to laugh off your troubles. This won’t solve everything, but you’ll at least feel a bit better.
6. Write in a diary. There are many different approaches you can take here. You can release all of your inner thoughts onto the page which will help relieve anxiety by finally coming to terms with all of your emotions. Write as a diary entry, or make a list of everything that’s stressing you out. When you’re finished, read it over, and then burn it. You can also instead, choose to write about the positive. Instead of writing about all of your worries, you can instead write down things you’re grateful for. This will help you reflect positive energy, which will help you feel even happier. See what works best for you.
7. Call someone you love. It can be anyone that makes you feel good. Call your mom, best friend, significant other, grandparent, or whoever. Ask them questions about their life. Reminisce old memories. Vent if you need to, but really try to focus on the good and not the bad.
8. Roam around a bookstore. Getting lost in a good book is always a great distraction. Go to a bookstore and look around to see what you might be interested in next. It’s good to spend some time out of your house, so take your time browsing around. You never know what you might find, or who you might meet!
9. Pamper yourself Give yourself a refreshing DIY facial, (p.s. you can find a great, simple recipe here) and light a few candles. Paint your nails and take some time out to make yourself feel good and fresh. You deserve it.
10. Doodle Doodling can be a great distraction. Engaging in a bit of creativity can help you feel more relaxed. Next time you’re stressed, grab a pad of paper and draw out your emotions. Have fun with it.
11. Bake cookies. It’s okay to indulge every once in awhile. Bake yourself your favorite treat and take a bit of time out to treat yourself.
12. Clean your room. Cleaning may not be the most exciting task, but it can be a great way to clear your head. Along with this, getting rid of clutter will help you become more organized and will relieve stress.
13. Accept the things you can’t change. This might be easier said than done. Take some time to reflect on what’s bothering you. Sit with your feelings and accept them. Can you change these problems? If not, then accept it. What’s done is done. If you can, do it. Make a plan for yourself. Take action.
14. Fill in a coloring book. Adult coloring books are very popular now due to its ability to de-stress. This will help get creativity flowing and will cause you to focus closely on your coloring, which will reduce anxiety and stress.
15. Meditate. Meditation serves many benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety. Like coloring, focusing on your breathing will help clear your head and bring relaxation. Even just meditating for 10 minutes a day can serve long-term benefits.
16. Repeat positive affirmations to yourself. You can do this to yourself while meditating, and throughout the day when you’re feeling down. Radiating positive energy will draw in positive thoughts.
17. Craft. Crafting can be a lot of fun and can be a great distraction. Focusing on skills such as painting or scrapbooking can be a great way to express your feelings while allowing yourself to get creative.
18. Get offline. No matter what it is that is bothering you and no matter what emotions you are feeling, it is good to get offline every once in awhile. Log out of Instagram and Twitter, and take some time out to do things you like to do. It can be crafting or baking, or whatever hobbies you enjoy, but don’t get distracted by what’s going on online. Social media can be dangerous. It could make you feel insecure, upset, jealous, and overall can ruin your mood in the blink of an eye. Avoid social media every once in awhile, especially when you aren’t in the best of moods.
Remember to stay active and to avoid dwelling. Know that whatever it is you are going through is only temporary. If you believe everything will be okay, it will be. Take steps to increase euphoria. Only you can decide how you feel, so choose happiness.